Rana's World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A world of Tricks and Tips

You are not connected. Please login or register

Create a HDD image with Ghost

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Create a HDD image with Ghost Empty Create a HDD image with Ghost Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:34 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

Create a HDD image with Ghost
This wanna be an usefull tutorial on how to make a Ghost image of ur HDD.
What is a Ghost Image?
well it is a compressed file(s) that contain all the info of 1 HDD , and it can be uncompressed on any different size HDD to obtain a specular system.
I personally use it for a lot of different use... I have a Format.gho (the .gho is the file extension for Ghost image first file,
the following files will be called with the .ghs extension) I use that file to format HDDs in about 1/2 seconds !
Yes it is very good on that.

I have a ghost image called Adam.gho (this is a friend of mine idea, btw) , that contain a clear
base installation of Windows 98SE, another AdamXP.gho (i let you figure what it is...).
I use the ADAM.gho to install win 98 on a formatted HDD in about 2 minutes
depend on your HDD speed...and i am only at UATA 66 !
I have a EvaXP.gho (that need 5 EvaXp00x.ghs files ..) that contain a basic installation of XP
with my favorites configuration, some games , and a lot of my favorites Application.
Well , now you are thinking " HOW THE HELL CAN I DO THE SAME ?? "
Ok , read:
How can i do it?
You must have a Ghost folder on your 2nd HDD (i mean you need the Folder that NortonSysWOrks create
during ghost installation...you can grab it from a friend if you dont have it installed...)
Put the Ghost folder on the main secondary HDD folder es.: d:\Ghost
After that , you need to create a .bat file, it is easy :
copy and paste the following path on a .txt file and rename it ghost.bat before save.
The path is :
\ghost\ghostpe.exe -auto -split=630
that is : ghostpe.exe to launch the main prog. (for old version , 2000/1 it is ghost.exe only)
: -auto to rename automatically the .ghs files
: -split=630 to split the various .ghs files on ~647 meg files , easy to burn on CD
Well , after that , you need to start your computer on Dos mode, use a 98 emergency floppy , or whatever you want...
When ready on Dos, go to the HDD that contain the Ghost folder and the Ghost.bat file ...
Launch the Ghost.bat ( a little note: for 2002 you need to write down the showed code after the launch...it is needed )
when the ghost prog is running , do the following:
[use the TAB ,Arrows, ENter keys to move trough the functions]
Local---------Disk(or partition)-----To image-----> then select source drive-----then select the destination folder and enter...
...when prompted to choose if compress the image , chosee freely witch type (Fast--Medium--High).
Enter will start the cloning operation.
When it will finish you may check the files...
Using a ghost image is similar to the creating operation...
Local----Disk(or partition)----FROM image-----Select Source file-----and Destination Disk ---hey it will be deleted !! Be carefull !

https://ranabose.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]